22/04/2011

Real Men Don't Cry

What I think strikes me most about Sam Taylor Wood's series 'Crying Men' is something I’ve grown up with as a child, as I guess many of us have, and that is that real men don't cry or portray too much emotion as it is associated with being too feminine, too girly. What I like about this series is that these are men who don't often play a role where the man will cry and it is humbling to see them out of character and out of a comfort zone for many of them. How many times have you seen the likes of James Bond ( Daniel Craig) crying because the ladies said no for a change?
This image from the series has caught my eye because, not only is he a famous British actor but because he alone in this stark room looking right down the lens as if to pierce your heart with his sadness. Most people will avoid eye contact when they cry, to hide the true emotions and reasons but Craig hides nothing.
So how about world known funny man Robin Williams, have you ever seen him look so sad? Not even in Mrs Doubtfire when they tried to takes his children away from his did he look this sad! Yet in contrast to Daniel Craig, Williams looks closed in as if his surroundings are almost hugging him, consoling him in his time of sadness. What i think gets me most about this image is that Williams is well know for being a funny man, not a crying man. Most of his roles are films aimed at kids. I remember his iconic voice in Aladdin by Disney and how happy he makes me feel as the Genie! It is a reality that men do cry when they are alone and think nobody is looking even the worlds hardest and funniest men.

Here is a few more of the images that hit me the most for one reason or another...



1 comment:

  1. love these pictures, they are so breathtaking and they give me goosebumps every time i view them!
    they are truly beautiful and the question of weather these are genuine emotions or not ?! x

    ReplyDelete