04/03/2011

Annie washerchops and the effects of the punctum


After being briefly introduced to Annie Leibovitz in class a few weeks back, I can openly admit I wasn’t overly impressed by her work shown. Yet surprisingly enough today, whilst casually browsing through the daily Metro paper, I stumbled across three images which caught my eye. I was hit with a punctum - an interaction to an image on an emotional level.




‘A photographs punctum is that accident which pricks me’ Roland Barthes.



The very thing that had caught my eye in the first place was that the images were of Disney films. As a bit of a fan of the old classic Disney films as child and admittedly still to this day, I was amazed to find these images were by Leibovitz. I instantly found a new liking for her work whilst dreamily gazing at Penelope Cruz as Belle from Beauty and the Beast which is titled ‘Tale as old as Time’. What struck me most was how much they look like paintings. The attention to light hitting the material in Belles golden dress could almost reflect something by some master. Belle is being lifted up by the Beast who is now back to his princely self and couldn’t look more happier.



Of course I have to admit that Belle is by far my favourite character from any Disney film as is Beauty and the Beast the best Disney film so my punctum is of nostalgia and remember wanting to be the girl who was never a princess and didn’t share the same selfishness and vain ideals as the other Disney princesses! There is a beast in us all we just need to find our beauties!



http://www.metro.co.uk/showbiz/857184-beauty-penelope-cruz-gets-a-disney-makeover?ITO=crossref

2 comments:

  1. Good reference to the punctum! Take a look at Annie Leibovitz at Work to understand more of how ahe works and who she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, I didn't know about this. I searched up the series after reading about it in your blog and oh my goodness are they amazing!
    Thanks for blogging about this! xP

    ReplyDelete