02/05/2011

The Taylor Wessing Prize Feb 2011

When I went to the National Portrait Gallery back in Feburary to see the Taylor Wessing Prize, there were a few images that caught my eye. I had seen the winner posted on the BJP website and I wasn't overly impressed by it. to see a child hunting is not nice to see, especially when children are running around killing each other in the UK and this child is off hunting some animal that is probably near extinction.  Some of the runners up I also found a bit lacking, but I’m not a judge.
Not Even Magic Stopped the Genocide- David Graham was one of my favourites, not for its look as an image but because of the writing that sat beside it. I would have never guessed that is what the boy was about. I would have assumed some kid of a dirty estate, but not all pictures can paint a thousand words. The real story behind the image is of a boy called Rafiki, a street child from Rwanda who's father was a victim of genocide. He now lives in a charity run home where he can read Harry Potter books all he likes. The far reach of western culture into Rafikis live was what I think Graham wanted to show.
 
I also really like the image they used for most of the advertising campaigns. Wafa by Felix Carpio was my favourite. This stunningly simple look of this woman from Syria just captures my attention every time I see it, yet I don't fully understand why. Perhaps it is her daring look, and that she is looking right down the lens at the photographer in an almost challenging way. Caprio's series explores the gender roles in traditional communities in Syria.
 
I don't often enjoy gallery visits but I did enjoy this one and I will most likely be looking out for the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment